A Vietnam Visa is required for the majority of visitors to Vietnam however there are a few exceptions to. When applying for a Vietnam Tourist/Visitor visa there are several options that need to be taken into account.
Length of stay: The standard Vietnam Visitor visa is 30 days however for a fee a 3 month visa is available.
Single or Multiple Entry: In addition to the length of stay when apply you will need to specify if you require a single or multiple entry visa. If you plan to base yourself in Vietnam and visit neighbouring countries and then return to Vietnam a multiple entry visa will be required, which does cost a little more.
Entry Date: all Vietnam Visa applications require the date you intend to enter Vietnam, this is used to determine the expiry date of the visa so the date you give does not need to be the exact date, if you want to play it safe and are unsure of your exact date it can be a few days before you intend arrive in Vietnam.
Priority Processing: If you require you Vietnam Visa in hurry then you will need to pay an additional service fee for priority processing, in most cases visas can be issued that day.
How to apply for a Vietnam Visa
1. Apply at your nearest Vietnam Embassy or Consulate
This method involves downloading the Vietnam Visa application form from your nearest Vietnam consulate or embassy website completing this form and sending it along with your passport/s, payment (personal cheque, money order) as well as a return envelope (registered mail is preferred).
If you live close to the embassy or consulate then another option is to take the passport in rather than sending which may be required if you need the visa at short notice.
The cost of using this method of applying for a Vietnam Visa varies from Country to country so we highly recommend contacting your nearest consulate or embassy to find out the current cost for your desired visa.
The current visa processing fees in the US and Australia are:
Cost US & AUD
|30 Day Single Entry (5 Day Processing)||
|30 Day Single Entry (0-2 Day Processing)||
|30 Day Multiple Entry (2 Day processing)||
|3 Month Single Entry (2 Day Processing)||
|3 Month Multiple Entry (2 Day Processing)||
Note the cost of a Vietnam visa are quite a lot cheaper from the Vietnam Consulate or Embassy in some Asian counties (Thailand and Cambodia) so if you are visiting either of these countries before entering Vietnam it may be a viable options
2. Travel Agent
For an addition fee on top of the standard Vietnam Visa processing fee most travel agents will be able to arrange a Vietnam Visitor Visa for you. We don’t recommend this method as they will simply be doing what you can just as easily do via the above option.
3. Vietnam Visa on Arrival Service (Online) Recommended method!
If you are arriving into Vietnam by air to either Ha Noi’s Noi Bai, Ho Chi Minh City’s Tan Son Nhat or Da Nangs International airports you can use the below Online Visa on Arrival service
The advantages we see in this method are:
- Passport Security – You don’t need to send your passport away for stamping, which is great if you travel overseas a lot and cannot afford the time to send your passport also if you just don’t want the complications of losing your passport before your big trip then this a just another great reason to use a visa on arrival service.
- Processing time – You will receive your Vietnam Visa on arrival approval email within 2 working days and if you pay the priority processing service you can have your approval back within 1 working day for the Urgent option or 4 working hours for the Super Urgent option.
- Cost – Using this method is actually significantly cheaper than the Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate in most western countries, what’s more this rate is fixed for whichever country you are applying from.
Current fees for this service are as follows:
|Visa Type||2 Day Processing||1 Day Processing||Stamping fee|
|1 Month Single Entry||US $21||Add $10||US $25|
|1 Month Multiple Entry||US $26||Add $10||US $50|
|3 Month Single Entry||US $34||Add $10||US $25|
|3 Month Multiple Entry||US $38||Add $10||US $50|
Please check website for Super Urgent processing fee, Also note there are discounts for multiple visas
If you use this service when you arrive at immigrations in Vietnam will need the following ready:
- The printed Visa on arrival approval letter (which is emailed to you) along with the attached entry and exit forms
- 2 passport size photographs per person
- Visa Stamping Fee (per person US $25 for single entry $50 for multiple entry)
- We recommend keeping all of these items (including visa stamping fee) together in a safe place ready for a smooth processing in Vietnam
Remember If you not arriving by air then you will or your travel agent will need to obtain your Vietnam visa from your local Vietnam Embassy or Consulate.
Important notes for all Vietnam visa applications (online & embassy/consulate applications)
It is important to note that Vietnam customs and immigrations service requires that you have at least 6 months validity on your passport on the date you enter Vietnam
You also require at least two blank pages in your passport